KING FAHD UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM AND MINERALS
DEPARTMENT OF SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
INSTRUMENTATION FOR PROCESS CONTROL
COURSE OBJECTIVE : (2-3-3)
This is a newly introduced elective course in the SE department. While SE 312 stresses on the basic principles of instrumentation and transducers, the objective of this new course is to meet the demand of the process industry for advanced application oriented course.
PREREQUISITE: SE 312 or Equivalent
INSTRUCTOR : Dr. Moustafa Elshafei
WEEKLY BREAKDOWN :
|1- Review of Basic Concepts (Ch 8, JPB)|
2- Analog Signal Conditioning (Ch 2, CDJ, Ch9 JPB)
3- Digital Signal Conditioning (Ch 3, CDJ)
4- SCADA Systems ( Ch 18, JPB+Handout)
5- Flow Measurement ( Ch 12, JPB)
6- Ultrasonic Measurement Systems (Ch 16, JPB)
7- Actuators and Control valves. ( Handout)
8- Eddy current measurement systems (Handout)
TEXT BOOK :
1- (CDJ) Curtis D. Johnson," Process Control Instrumentation Technology"
5th Edition, Prentice Hall, 1997.
2- (JPB) John P. Bentley," Principles of Measurement Systems", 3rd Edition, Longman Publisher, 1995.
GRADE BREAK DOWN :
PROJECT 40 %
FINAL 30 %
Majors 10 %
QUIZES 10 %
ATTENDANCE and ASSIGNMENTS 10 %
1) This a new elective course in the SE Department. The course is the second level in the instrumentation after SE 312. The material of this course covers more advanced topics in instrumentation technology and stresses on the new technology, Design and use of computer in the instrumentation systems.
2) The lab work was mainly geared towards design and implementation of projects that demonstrate the student ability to deal with advanced technology, understand and proper use of actual industrial measurement systems. Understand the sources of error , safety consideration, calibration and the design steps from conceptual ideas to prototyping and testing
3) The practical aspects of the course material was greatly enhanced by the use of professional training tapes from the ISA The International Society for Measurement and Control.
4) Student were required to attended lectures delivered by experts from Aramco on Control Valves and another one by experts from Rosemonts on the new technology of Smart Transmitters.
5) Student participated in a tour and presentation in the Standards and Calibration Laboratory of the Research Institute.
Design and and Implementation of a two Tank System to
1- Temperature measurement and control.
2- Level measurement and control.
3- Flow measurement and control.
4- Conductivity/pH measurement and control.
5- Use of computer interface and signal conditioning modules.
6- Use of process control software.
1- Introduction to the lab equipment.
2- Introduction to Labview
3- Configuring labview for data acquisition.
4- Temperature measurement installation.
5- Temperature measurement calibration.
6- Level measurement installation.
7- Level measurement calibration.
8- Flow measurement installation.
9- Flow measurement calibration.
10- Control valves, solenoids, and heating elements.
11- Control loop design and overall system integration.
12- Oral examination.